Hardware is minimal.
- Dig our that old 486 PC that only has a floppy drive.
- Two network cards if you want to build a firewall.
This is really easy - download the following. I have a preference for Herbix because it helps you build your own special distribution:
- Download Herbix single floppy Linux distribution
- Follow the configuration steps in the README file.
- Dump the image to a floppy.
- Reboot on the floppy and start experimenting.
- Build your own distribution.
- Also look at tomsrtbt, Coyote Firewall, LRP - The Linux Router Project and many others.
- Use 'lsmod | less' and 'dmesg | less' to show what modules have loaded in a working system. This can be useful to configure network cards etc for your single floppy distribution.
This is a great starting point for many projects. Herbix provides all the scripts to allow you to alter the distribution and create your own specialised version of Linux that runs from a floppy.
- Put your firewall on a floppy.
- Use an old PC for all those home automation projects.
- Tell me what you have done.
Click here to check out the list of other projects.
You may also like to click here to check out the list of Artificial Intelligence projects.
You might also like to submit your idea to our Free Ideas page for the benefit of other like-minded soles.